The Waterloo Law Association, first incorporated in 1894 with 38 lawyers, now strives to keep 560 members and articling students informed and involved in issues that affect the practice of law.
Our website was designed with members of the Waterloo Law Association in mind. If you need to find a lawyer in Waterloo Region, try our Find a Lawyer feature. For library information, and member resources click on Member Resources. To find out more about the Waterloo Law Association, our logo, the Board of Trustees, committees and association initiatives click on About Us.
The Waterloo Law Association would be limited in what services and opportunities we are able to provide without input and participation from members. We encourage members to use the contact form for suggestions, questions or general information.
Library Manager/Executive Director of the Waterloo Region Law Association
The Waterloo Region Law Association (WRLA), first incorporated in 1894 with 38 lawyers, is the 5th largest law association in Ontario outside Toronto with membership of 585 lawyers in Waterloo Region encompassing Kitchener, Waterloo, Cambridge, New Hamburg and Elmira. The Board of Trustees consists of 19 lawyers and 1 paralegal elected by the Members. The Association is committed to serving the best interests of the Membership by providing a variety of continuing education programs, social occasions and working events that will appeal to a wide spectrum of lawyers. Additionally, the Association advocates on behalf of its Members addressing issues that affect the profession.
Lawyers require access to current and historical legal information in order to properly practice law. Local libraries play a fundamental role in developing and enhancing the skills required of competent lawyers in Ontario. Under LibraryCo’s central management, the county and district law libraries provide high quality legal information services in a cost-effective and efficient manner to all lawyers in the province, regardless of geographic location or type of practice.
The Law library is operated in accordance with the objectives, policies and principles established and approved by the Law Society of Ontario from time to time, in consultation with the Federation of Ontario Law Associations, which includes the WRLA.
WRLA is seeking an experienced, passionate, visionary, and community-minded Library Manager and Executive Director to be the operational lead for the organization in a full-time permanent position. The Managing Director will work with WRLA’s Board of Trustees and staff to provide important services to our Membership.
The Library Manager and Executive Director will be accountable for the overall leadership and management of the organization, including Board reporting, financial management, collection development, and member relations. Responsibilities will include:
- Create a welcoming and service-minded environment focused on Member relations
- Cultivate relationships with all Ontario Courthouse library staff and provide assistance as required
- Supervise and mentor library staff
- Maintain relationships with Courthouse and Facilities Management
- Overall organization of the Association including membership database, directories, and communications
- Library collection development
- Orientation and research guidance to Members
- Assist in development and maintenance of facilities, policies and procedures
- Promotion and marketing of the Library and the Association, including Membership events
- Financial oversight and management of the Library and Association including monthly remittances, reporting, budgeting, and working with the Treasurer, bookkeeper and accountant
- Maintain and manage WRLA Entrance Scholarships
- Communications and advocacy
- Driving innovation in technology across all aspects of the organization
- Participate in the Conference of Law Association Libraries, Ontario Courthouse Libraries Association, the Canadian Association of Law Libraries and the Federation of Law Associations
- Actively participate in Board Committees and Practice Group initiatives
- Accountability to a Board of Trustees
The Library Manager and Executive Director supervises a Library Assistant and facilitates the offering of services to Members of the WRLA and Library patrons.
Education and skills:
The successful candidate will have:
- A Master’s Degree in Library and Information Science, Business Administration or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- At least 5 years of senior-level management and leadership experience in related field;
- Experience in budget planning and oversight;
- Familiarity with legal research and clientele would be an asset;
- Fluency in oral and written English is required;
- Soft skills, including but not limited to: being highly organized; able to balance multiple projects simultaneously without losing sight of details; diplomatic; collegial; discreet; a constructive problem-solver; mature; dependable; articulate; comfortable communicating with members; committed to fostering a workplace culture of inclusion.
Compensation and benefits:
Compensation commensurate with skills and experience. This position offers medical and extended health benefits plan and 4 weeks annual paid vacation.
To apply for this position:
To be given assured consideration, please submit all required application materials by email no later than December 20, 2017 to:
Chair, HR Committee, Waterloo Region Law Association
Required application materials:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses your vision for the position and the WRLA
- A curriculum vitae.